Friday, April 23, 2010

Rain's Depression Story

Yes, you've heard his Love Story...but did you know about his Depression Story?

It's about Rain feeling lonely and entertaining thoughts about death. The 28 year old spilled the beans about his depression on April 13 while filming KBS2TV's Win Win variety show.

"I was so depressed and lonely that I had an extreme thought. I was flying one day and I wished the plane crashed. At least people would remember me as someone who was trying his best," Rain confessed.

However, something stopped the singer/actor/ entrepreneur from ending his life – marriage. "I just couldn't die before getting married!

"I always thought I was a strong person, but the depression that came over me at that time was just too much," he revealed.

And when exactly did this happen?

It was when the Love Song singer was filming his US debut flick Ninja Assassin. While extremely happy and excited about the project initially, Rain eventually felt the pressure and loneliness while working in the United States.

"When I was cast for Ninja Assassin, I thought: 'I'm finally becoming a star, I'm becoming Brad Pitt!'. I got so excited. I thought the cast and crew were too good for a first timer like me. I thought my day has finally come...and they even offered me a really nice house to live in."

However, Rain decided to stick to the way he was used to. So he stayed in a humble house and practiced discipline. He was his own worst critic. "I put a photo of Bruce Lee on my fridge. I only ate lemon, cabbage, apples and chicken breasts. I did push-ups every time before shooting. The "battle" kept going on even at home after work," Rain recalled.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was Yoo Jae-suk singing a carol on TV. It was during the Christmas holidays when lonely Rain tuned into Infinite Challenge. "I was watching Infinite Challenge and there was Yoo Jae-suk singing a carol. I found myself weeping. I thought to myself: 'I'm supposed to be there too...'"

Rain's Depression Story ends on a happy note – thank God. The Korean superstar completed filming Ninja Assassin and eventually got out of depression. "When shooting was finally over, the director gave me a bottle of soju. I finished it on the spot, and I also swore in Korean. They wouldn't have understood it. I was really proud of myself. Really."

Poor Rain. The cliché is true then: it gets lonely at the top. Want some company Rain? Call me! :-P

Source: Newsen with translations by Joe Gimm
Credit: K-popped

No comments: