Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rain: "Wants To Become A Racer"

World star Rain starring in Hollywood movie "Speed Racer" will be in theatres on May 8th in Asia. This is produced by the Warner Brothers. On April 21st, Rain interviewed by the local press and he said "Even though he doesn't know if the box office is going to be a big hit or not, but he already signed for Speed Racer III."

Q: Your character is a supporting actor, why do you pick this character when you know this is a supporting role?

I received many main actor role invitations. If this is compared to a baseball game, I would want to be a leader in a big competition game rather than a small one. Besides, I really like this movie's director, Wachowski brothers. I believe I can learn many things. I gave it all while shooting so the director let me to be the main actor in Ninja Assassin.

The "Matrix" is a western action film, but the Wachowski brothers wanted to shoot an Asian kung fu film. When I was small, I learn kickboxing and some kung fu technique so it only takes me 30 minutes to finish the kick fighting scene. Maybe because of this, the director appreciated me. About the racing car scenes, we are shooting in a green screen and I am wearing leather clothing, my body temperature is higher than 90 degrees F. While other actors are resting, I am still insisted on filming. I wanted to let others know how strong and patient Korean people are.

During filming I mostly ate with the production group. I wrote Korean for them, I said "Korean writing looks very nice right", then I wrote "TAEJOTOGOKHAN" in Korean, never thought they added this into the movie. Ninja Assassin will start shooting on April 28th.

Q: Your English dialogues sounds very fluent, how do you feel talking English in the movie?

Who can imagine I could act in a Hollywood movie, release album in U.S. If I know this then I should study harder in English during High School (Smiled). I think need to have confidence on doing anything. I am still a Korean, no matter how hard I study, my English level will not be good as U.S. people. Because my English teacher is a British, I have difficulties on English pronunciation, but I will try to speak more naturally. But lucky I sounded quite natural in the movie.

Q: Some people said the character's emotion reveals too solely, but some said this is a very important supporting role.

The director cares a lot about little details, but to me requested a mystical rhyme. Don't' know if I reveal now is too early or not, but I already signed for Speed Racer III, of course this depends on Speed Racer become big hit. Even though no one told me, but I feel they will shoot a sequel. The director told me I will be acting as a car company's boss, so I must be steady and with competing strength. Voice need to tune deep. In the movie, my emotions are mostly cold and serious looking. Smiles and sunny looks are rejected by the director.

Q: How do you feel working with Hollywood stars like Emile Hirsch, Matthew Fox, Susan Sarandon and Christina Ricci?

At the beginning, I only have one thought, must have confidence. (Smiled) they are big stars, especially Susan Sarandon, she is my idol when I was small. I never thought she would have my album and ask me for my autograph. She also wrote a letter to me, in the letter she wrote "Hope this movie will be a stepping stone for you to success". One day, an actor's birthday, Susan, Matthew, Emile and I joined the birthday party and went to bowling together. Before I only thought not to worry then will be fine, but never thought they are very down to earth people. Asian fans are so warm-ed. They came to Berlin studio and cheer for me. Other actors don't have such fans. During filming, the director from "Transformer" came visiting, maybe because this movie is a big hit in Korea, the director likes Korea a lot, he viewed Korea is an important market.

Q: The movie actor name "TAEJOTOGOKHAN", is he a Korean or Japanese?

"TAEJO" is a Korean name. I asked the director before, he also knew TAEJO is North Korea emperor. KHAN is Mongolian and TOGO doesn't have actual meaning. TAEJO is Korean name, but in the movie, his father Areum is a Chinese.

Washowski brothers are initiative peace people. The movie has different nationality staffs explaining the scenes, and there is Korean dialogue in the movie, seems like they appreciated me as a Korean.

Q: When will you come back to Korea acting?

Ninja Assassin will be done shooting at the end of July. This fall I will produce a special album for my Asian fans. To promote for the movie, I will stay in Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong and Taiwan for one month. Then I will prepare for my English album, until next year then I could come back to Korea acting.

Source: 韓聯網
Translated by Summer, credit to www.Rain-America.com

No comments: